We live in the SouthShore of Montreal. Actually it is called Montérégie Region. It is considered to be a quiet neighbourhood (where we live) except for morning rush. It’s like a movie. The slamming of car doors seem to be timed between seven-thirty and seven-forty. Everyone is in sync. While most people have Snow Removal service, we have a tiny electric snowplough. My Mom is optimistic, like seriously…thinking that snow will pass us by.
I can smell her cooking from the outdoors. You see, my Mom is trying to lose a few pounds, this happens now and then. Therefore, the household needs to eat healthy. My Mom is also a busy Mom sort of a Computer ADDICT. She has great dreams like going back in time and taking the most advanced technology with her. Therefore, I really wish it happens since everyone is entitled to dream.
The ingredients are:
- 1 lb. Squash cubed
- 1 whole leak (white to very pale green part only) coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cups of chicken broth (homemade or store bought)
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp salt or sea salt (to taste)
- In a large pot, add all of the above ingredients and cover. Cook on high for 15 minutes till it starts to boil. Reduce heat to medium for 20 minutes. Set timer but do check to stir a little.
- In the meantime, prepare sandwiches. This presentation is with Chicken breasts leftover from a previous batch my Mom had cooked. Slice the chicken as thin as possible. Coat bread lightly with margarine or butter or 50% fat reduced mayo. Cover with lettuce and cut in two.
- Check cubes of squash with fork for tenderness.
- In a blender, add most of the veggies and less of the broth. Blend well and return to the pot.
- In Quebec, we add 15% Country Cream about 1/2 cup. Stirring the whole mixture gently together . (optional) Serve immediately.